So the morning started off very hectic! I wanted to get the turkey ready to take over to my neighbors to cook (our oven wasn't big enough) and as we started getting it ready...the drain in the floor of the kitchen started pouring out this foul smelling water...like the sewer!!! All those little bits of food that I let go down the sink for the last 6 months, decided to come back up on Thanksgiving morning!! So we spend a good 30 minutes unclogging that...well I say we...but you know who does the dirty work. So then I put the turkey in the oven around 830am. I started cooking all the other food...deviled eggs, mashed potatoes, squash, stove top and Juan Pablo did the avocado dip. I checked on the turkey a few times and it smelled great and looked great too! So about 12 or so, I go over to look at the turkey and Claudia's mom is there so I ask her opinion about it and guess what...I had it turned upside down!!! Stop laughing! So I flipped it, and boy was it ugly! But I cooked it a little while longer and it came out fine, a little dry but it did make a good gravy which moistened it up. Even so, I'd say everyone ate the roast pork and I have a half a turkey for leftovers!
The cakes were great except one thing....I had made the pie crust from scratch for the pecan pie...and I should have cooked it before adding the insides...the bottom was mushy! It tasted fine, but looked a little funny. And the cheesecake was devoured!
So towards the end I thanked everyone for making it a special day for me being that I'm far from family and so they all went around the table and said something nice about the day, the meal and our family. A tear jerker.
But I haven't told the worst part yet. Around 6pm, Juan Pablo's grandma, who had been sleeping, was complaining about her stomach hurting...so we made her a coca tea (which is a cure all down here)...but when we came back she was way worse!! Had thrown up and couldn't breathe and was shaking and freezing!! They had to take her to the doctor right away!! Of course, I felt awful, like it was the food or something. It turns out it was something she ate that morning they think (no, no one else got sick) but she is still recovering in the hospital!! Apparently she can't eat a lot of heavy foods...so I think it was the cheesecake that broke the camels back. I still feel awful, so please keep her in her thoughts and prayers as she recovers!
I say again, "Whew!" And that is why I'm glad Thanksgiving is over.
No comments:
Post a Comment