Monday, September 19, 2011

Sorpresa!

Saturday night, we head up the familiar I-95 to DC on the way to the airport. JP's brother was flying in, and instead of sending Juan Pablo by himself like we normally do, I suggested that we all go. It would be a late night, but it would be fun to welcome him as a family. I even bring balloons to blow up and wave when he arrives.

During the drive, I mention, "What if your dad comes with him?" We've been wanting him to visit ever since we got married and moved back to the states. JP shakes it off with a "Nah. I don't think so."

It takes us two trips around the airport to find the correct parking area, but we arrive on time and head into the terminal. We light up at the moving walkways like it's Kings Dominion, and you can hear squeals of excitement echoing down the halls.

It's not like the old days...or even like they still do it in some movies. You're not waiting at the end of the plane's walkway to greet your long lost relatives as they shuffle off the plane looking dazed and disoriented. You're not even allowed over there, of course.

We wait at baggage claim for him. And wait. And wait.

At one point, Isabela sees someone in a teal blue shirt and exclaims, "I see him!" And we all crane our necks saying, "Where? Where?"

"Right there!" she points. I can tell she wants to hop off the seat and run over to him, but I'm holding her back because there were a lot of people. He gets closer and closer and we're still asking, "Where is he?"

It turns out... that's not Uncle. Looks nothing like him, really. But the shirt did seem like something he would wear. Her face turns a light shade of pink, and we all bust out laughing at the guy who wasn't Uncle.

Searching the oncoming faces, we're still waiting anxiously to surprise him. And we start to get a little worried. The crowds aren't coming as strong now. I suggest he might have gone to the bathroom after the long flight. But JP decides to take Joaquin and go find him.

They're gone for awhile. Isabela and I continue to scan the crowds, while Diego waits unusually patient as I hold his hand with a tight grip. The baggage carousel is great entertainment and little too tempting, I imagine.

Then, far off in the distance, I see balloons. I can't tell who's carrying them, but those are definitely our balloons. And then my eye catches a distinctive head full of grey hair on a man with a suit. IT'S HIM! Hid dad! Those sneaky Medinas. They managed to it a secret for weeks. It turns out the surprise is on us!

We run over and give big hugs and shy looks from little faces who are unsure.

And it's all so incredible. We're all there to greet them. We have the big mini-van and are able to fit everyone in. And that sneaking suspicion I had on the way up. I do sometimes think I'm a great detective. Most moms are, after all. I think what gave it away was the fact that his dad didn't call us to say Julio had taken off from Bolivia. They always call.

Still, I love a good surprise.

3 comments:

robynreid said...

how nice, a family visit! and now i know the spanish word for surprise ;) enjoy your company!

medina family said...

Thanks, Robyn! We're putting them to work already, but we're having fun, too.

ghesspanish said...

What a wonderful surprise!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...