Monday, August 22, 2011

why we're {not} homeschooling this year

It was a long, torturous road for me on deciding whether or not to send the kids to school this year. The images of happy children playing in the creek, learning their science lessons first-hand, or reading a book on a blanket under the clouds, these images still dance around in my head.

I spent many evenings researching late into the night homeschooling ideas, curriculum, thoughts and opinions. In my immediate surrounding of friends and family, no one homeschools. It could be because we live in a 'great' school district. What attracts me to homeschooling is not measured by test scores though.

Then there was the reality this summer: two kids I would occasionally have to lock out of the house in order to get them to play for any amount of time outside, a girl I could barely get to write a few sentences to her pen pal, a boy who would start crying when I said, "Let's go to the library."

What? Who's kids ARE these?

I started thinking the only reason they wanted to homeschool was to not do any school.

So I decided to give the other option a second look. Public school. These were my thoughts: It takes a village to raise a child. A school is a village, and for the most part, filled with teachers who have studied for years on how to best educate our precious kids.

But it's a watered down education, you say.

So we read at home. This summer we read A Lion to Guard Us, Because of Winn-Dixie, Stuart Little, and The Sword and the Tree, to name a few. These are old classics that are currently offered in a homeschooling catalog. We got them from the library.

We played board games and as we moved around the board, I realized we were adding and subtracting.

We baked. And we're missing some measuring cups. So we learned that 1/4 plus 1/4 equals 1/2.

But I still wanted my kids to play outside more. How could I make this happen? A garden. So we had a garden that flourished. Weeds right along with tomatoes and cucumbers. It attracted bumble bees, butterflies, cicadas, and praying mantises.

And I don't want them to miss any of this when they go back to school. I thought maybe we could start a garden at their school.

And what position should be open on the school PTA?? Beautification.

I'd say a garden qualifies.

So I signed up. The kids are going to school. I'm on the PTA. And the decision is made.

Am I having second thoughts? Absolutely.

There are amazing homeschooling blogs out there that I still read, essays from homeschooled kids that make me want pull my kids out tomorrow, but we're going to give school another try this year. Full-on.

Will I stop reading those homeschooling blogs? No way.

We're still learning at home. I recently picked up a book on my shelf, Honey for a Child's Heart. It's supposed to be a list a great books for kids to read. And it is. But it's so much more, and I recommend it.

I'm excited and nervous about this upcoming school year. I've turned over part of my children's education to someone else. And I've taken on a great project that just might provide education to other kids. It's the village coming full circle.

And if you ask my kids what school they go to this year, don't be surprised if they hesitate before they answer.

2 comments:

kathy said...

I think if you really look into it you will find a lot of homeschooled kids in your area. Virginia is huge on homeschooling except that you don't really see many of the homeschooled kids wondering in the neighborhood. I know I have at least 2 families on my street. If you look at henrico county (that's where you are right?) program guide you can see all the homeschooling programs and maybe meet some other homeschooling moms

http://polwig.com

medina family said...

Thanks Kathy...I agree there are a lot of homeschoolers in VA. We're in Chesterfield...it's just that none of my friends are doing it. Friends of friends are and I know there are a lot of resources out there now. If I change my mind, I know there will be lots of support.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...