Lately, that's been the life lesson I've been failing at. The kids are making decisions, and I'm learning to let them.
I never liked to be in charge, but somehow, as a mom, I've gotten used to deciding when, where, what, and how. And letting that go is hard.
Like when Isabela had her choice to go anywhere for her birthday, she chose Chuck E. Cheese. My mouth dropped open when she said it, but I slowly closed it, trying not to say a word.
It was in that moment that I realized her choices are not going to be the same as mine.
So we played video games.
And eyes glazed over.
And long-sought-after prizes were won!
And although it's a little painful to see her branch off from me, it's also exciting. If I keep quiet, I learn more about her. Who she is inside. Her likes. Her dreams.
So I shush. And I observe. And I admire the precious girl God has placed in my care. From the top of her head, to the tips of her colorful toes.
2 comments:
Elise's bday is coming up & I'm worried she'll say she wants to go to Chuckie Cheese...ha ha!
Hi Darlene!
It was actually pretty fun...we took them there during school hours so we had the run of the place to ourselves! Any game they wanted with no lines! Really it's a child's dream...and some dads, too. :)
Post a Comment