Monday, May 2, 2011

any given weekend

On any given weekend, there are so many options for family activities here, that you really don't know which way to turn.

Our criteria is usually based on:

1. time...Diego still takes a nap from noon to about 3pm. So we try to hit activities before or after this.

2. cost...free is always preferred.

3. location...we have to factor in driving distance with naps...sometimes he can take one in the car, sometimes it doesn't work out which means the event will have to be cut short when he gets wild; and sometimes, I need a nap and don't want to drive too far.

4. crowds...I'll often try to pick the one I think the least people will go to. It's no fun waiting in line. Sometimes that backfires and everyone shows up at an event I thought no one would go to...and then we just deal with it. I'm thinking Kite Day 2011.

And sometimes we just stay home and do nothing. Those weekends are fun and relaxing, too.

But this past weekend, we went to an amazing event, the Crestwood Elementary plant sale and nature fair, just by chance. What enticed us in the description was definitely the petting zoo and hands-on nature crafts, not to mention there would be a wallaby, lemur, and hedgehog to pet.

I've learned not to get my hopes up too much anymore. A lot of events are so crowded, you can't get near the animals, or the one thing you wanted to see was hidden away somewhere and you never saw it. But this one definitely exceeded our expectations.

Look at this amazing face that greeted us.
IMG_0548


And have you ever touched a hedgehog? It feels more like a bristle brush than a soft stuffed animal. (FYI, those are not my well-manicured hands.)
IMG_0556

Diego's car nap was too short, maybe 10 minutes, and when he caught a glimpse of the animals through his groggy eyelids, he wanted out of that stroller. Here he's petting the wallaby.
IMG_0561

All smiles in the petting zoo under the shade of a large tree. I didn't see anyone around saying "Don't touch...or "Be careful"...or "It'll bite you"...(okay, maybe I said it once) but it was very refreshing and all the little kids were enjoying the animals so much!
IMG_0565

And it was educational! The goal was to collect 18 stickers at different stations where there were activities or crafts to learn more about the environment. We were there from 1-4pm (that was the whole time for the event) and didn't even get all the stickers.

Diego saw the ball on this recycled animal that I'm sure the elementary students helped make.
IMG_0605

This activity was so fun. The kids learned about different bird beaks, some are long, some are short, and some are easier to pick up certain things than others. They had one minute to pick up as many candy worms, fish, and fruits as they could. Look at that concentration!
IMG_0654

We were all fascinated by the sea creatures.
IMG_0627

This is a frog fish. Apparently, they can bite and it hurts. A little boy stuck his hand near his mouth and the demonstrator got a little freaked out that he could have gotten hurt. (No, although quite possible, it was not a boy of mine!)
IMG_0631

Some pretty pinching crabs.
IMG_0629

And somebody stop me...we're all in love with these goats and are thinking of getting some! How couldn't we with that joyful smile on Isabela's face?
IMG_0577

IMG_0579

3 comments:

Nancy said...

I loves me some pgymy goats!!!!!! They're adorable as is the holder. HAPPY BIRTHDAY ISABELA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love,

Great Aunt Nancy

Aunt Maggie said...

Rick and I went to the auction a couple weeks ago thinking of buying a goat and they were adorable... but then he heard they love to jump and climb on things like cars and we decided against it. you should come up for the auction one day...Hope to see you soon.

medina family said...

Thanks Nancy!! I'll pass on the message to her.

Hi Maggie, I found a great article on which type of goat to buy here:
http://fiascofarm.com/goats/getting-your-goat.htm

Very interesting. We're actually visiting a local farm soon to ask questions about goats as pets. Here's their site...some cute babies!!
http://www.thebrokenroadfarm.com/

Susan

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...