Monday, May 9, 2011

the truth about mother's day

The truth is...I am a little scared of this day.

The elusive, magical day, in which I feel like a wonderful mother and am remembered for the trivial work I do around the house cooking and cleaning, a day that is filled with such high expectations.

Not to mention the fact that I lost my own mother eleven years ago. Or the fact that in Bolivia, mother's day is on a different day, so when May hits, I tend to remind Juan Pablo that mother's day is just around the corner.

Mother's Day for me rarely happens on the holiday of its name.

The real day happens here:

cheerful, belly-laugh giggles, while tickling tiny feet on our bed before night-night

a helpful hand folding clothes, when I never even asked

a child who exclaims, "This is the best meal I ever had!" after I've been chopping, stirring, and cooking for 45 minutes

holding hands crossing the parking lot....with my two older kids

"The house looks great!" when Juan Pablo comes home late from work


Small gestures and simple words.

What any mother wants, I imagine. And the act of trying to fit all that into one day is silly.

So, while we celebrated the special day with a trip to the strawberry patch, and a trip to the pool, I am mindful of it everyday, because if I'm not, I'll surely be disappointed.
IMG_0879
IMG_0967
IMG_0874
IMG_0865
IMG_0952

IMG_1045
IMG_1046
IMG_1078
IMG_1091
IMG_1095
IMG_1112

3 comments:

Tracy said...

You really touched my heart with this one. So very true... and the photos are gorgeous. You're all so beautiful.

Darlene said...

You are such an amazing mom!! You inspire me to be more patient & to enjoy the small things :0). Thank you~

medina family said...

Hi Tracy. Thanks for your nice words. About the pictures, it really takes me about a hundred shots to get a few good ones :)


Thanks, Darlene. I think we inspire each other :)
Very true...I think it really is the small things that are most important.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...