Rules like:
Sit at the table until everyone is finished.
Kids in bed by 8 (or 9 these days).
No TV on school nights.
Healthy snacks between meals.
It makes me a 'no fun' kind of person, which is just magnified by my fun-loving, break-all-the-rules husband.
Maybe he's starting to rub off on me though.
While he was at work this afternoon, I decided to just up and take the kids to see Journey 2 the Mysterious Island after school! I had only just heard of this movie this past weekend...I saw a trailer, and it looked GOOD. The kind of trailer where you smile at the person beside you as soon as it's over and say, "I wanna see that."
The kids and I gorged on popcorn and soda and enjoyed every minute of this movie. I'm not sure what the critics were watching, but we were laughing and screaming and left still smiling with an exhilarated feeling. We almost had a private showing...except there was a dad there breaking the rules with his two kids.
And I have to add, I left wanting to READ all the Jules Verne books I never read growing up. Any movie that makes you want to read a book has got to be good.
I think this will be one of those days where I say, "Remember when I took you to see Journey 2 after school?" and they'll respond in chorus, "Yeah!! That was so fun!"
Katherine Hepburn got it right when she said, "If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun."
We ended the night with cereal for dinner. May as well go all the way, right? This goes along with my 'eat a whole angel food cake in one day' theory....it's all going to the same place, why drag it out over several days?
This is why I follow rules. When I start to veer, I just can't help myself.
But it sure is fun.
warning: If you decide to see this movie, the previews for other upcoming movies are REALLY SCARY. (Wrath of the Titans and the Hobbit) Whoever made those choices, needs to be demoted.
4 comments:
Hey! What a great post. I'm the same way. I thought about picking the girls up from school early one day and taking them to do something like that. They would LOVE it and I'm sure always remember it. You are such a good mom and always inspire me to be better :0)
Awww..thanks for saying that, Darlene. I don't always feel like a good mom, but every now and then, I might be. And definitely, you inspire me.
My son is dying to see this movie! I may just break the rules and take him next week.
I say go for it, Tara! I hope you like it as much as we did.
Post a Comment