Tuesday, July 31, 2007

walled city




The streets of La Paz are lined with walls....all kinds of walls, some brick, some bushes, some metal fences. Every house is surrounded by a high wall, and some put broken glass, barbed wire, or other sharp objects at the top to keep out robbers. I've never seen anyone scaling these walls, but I guess it happens. Sometimes you get a peek behind these walls when someone opens their door to leave, and you can see the most beautiful yards and entrances, like something out of The Secret Garden! It is hard to find businesses or stores sometimes because they are hidden behind these walls with just a small sign outside. Some houses even have private security guards. Our neighborhood has a security guard that is supposedly watching out, but basically he has a whistle that he blows every 15 minutes just before he dozes off. Quite annoying.

1 comment:

Castelos said...

Susan!
That broken glass is crazy. Do they put some sort of resin down to keep the broken shards in place? Do they do that themselves? I wouldn't want that home project. Wow! Always something fascinating from you. Matt and I honeymooned in Greece and they had big problems with wild dogs as well. They have the most in Europe! They were everywhere and I am not the best around dogs so it always made my heart pump a little faster when I saw a pack of them. Do people just let their house dogs wander as well?
I'll email you soon
Lots of Love!! Shannon

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...