Saturday, July 21, 2007

la paz shut down

Yesterday, everything in La Paz was closed because of a protest or demonstration against the government. There were no stores open and most public transport was no where to be found. (We did find a corner store open near our house to buy bread.) Juan pablo had to make 6 trips to the airport carrying hotel guests and once they blocked the road with big rocks and he just had to sit there. They are protesting the idea that someone came up with to move the government back to Sucre, the official capital of Bolivia, which of course would drastically affect the economy of La Paz. I can't imagine they would really do that, but who knows. We (the kids and I) of course were unaffected. We stayed in our house playing, I finished my book the YaYa Sisterhood which I found in the hotel. Juan Pablo came home a little early so we actually cooked a real dinner. We made burgers and I put fresh pineapple and bbq sauce on mine to make it a Hawaiian burger, and it was really good.
The kids start back to school on Monday. It looks like we're going to try to hire a taxi to take us back and forth all the time, the same taxi, since Juan Pablo is working now. We are underway to buying our very own house. There was a little setback in the paperwork, but I think it should be cleared up this week. I'm very excited about that and if everything goes well we should be able to move in about a month. We still have not received our appliances...I imaging someone is using them and is having a great time. But Juan Pablo assures me they are fine. We have also seen a lawyer about my paperwork to have dual citizenship!! I'll be Bolivian! The kids and I need this so we can stay in Bolivia longer than the 30 days they gave us when we last crossed the border...they saw my passport and said "too much coming and going, you need to fix this!" I thought it was kinda funny. When I get that, then I can get a driver's license...which I don't know if they will want me to have because I'll be the only one stopping at red lights! hahaha!

2 comments:

robynreid said...

hawaiian burger!?! dual citizenship?!? you know how to live, susie q. ;) the protests sound exciting and hopefully peaceful, although i bet JP didn't appreciate it during his drives. did you all get the house yet? guess it's a good thing you haven't gotten the appliances yet, you'd just have to move them soon...

ezabet said...

suzin. you're already bolivian to me:P so you went house shopping? hi robynreid. yeah suzq knows how to read must be that ya ya book!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...