Friday, March 11, 2011

Say...

Diego is in the cutest phase of repeating words. That can be dangerous depending on what you're saying...but usually we like to try out other languages on him.

I thought French might be fun.

So I said, "Bonjour!"

And he responded with the cutest little French accent, "Bonjour!"

The kids thought Chinese might be fun.

"Xie xie." And out comes, "she, she" with a precious little toddler voice.

Of course, we emphasize Spanish in our house, but some words are just better in other languages.



Take 'ball'. Diego's favorite word and one of his first. But in Spanish it's a little longer....'pelota'. So he prefers 'ball'.

This morning, while we were trying out all these languages on him, I went back to 'ball'.

Me: Diego, say 'pelota'.

Diego: says nothing

Me: Say, 'pe'.

Diego: 'Pe.'

Me: Say, 'lo'.

Diego: 'Lo.'

Me: Say, 'ta'.

Diego: 'Ta'.

Me (smiling proudly): Say 'Pe-lo-ta'.

Diego: BALL!

Well....at least he knows what it means.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...