
I was reading the kids some leprechaun stories out of this book, A Pot O' Gold, this morning, and we came upon some limericks. There is a city in Ireland called Limerick, but I don't think the poetry is actually from there.
Anyway, we decided to make up our own limericks, which turned out to be a fun lesson on rhyming, patterns (aabba), and wording in poetry and how it's sometimes different than the way we talk because of the need to rhyme.
I thought I'd share them because they were pretty funny.
I went first to show them how to do it:
I once had a girl and a boy,
Who both wanted one more toy.
Instead we said, "Maybe"
And had one more baby,
And now we're all filled with joy.
Then Joaquin made up this:
I went on a boat
And I passed by a goat.
The goat saw me
And climbed up a tree.
Then fell off and went to a vote.
And here's Isabela's:
Isabela's my name
And I played a game.
The cat jumped on it,
And I said, "Darn it."
And my cat I blame.
You can see how the last line of Isabela's had to have the words rearranged in order to rhyme. We also realized we had to rhyme with 'on it' and not just 'it', or else it didn't have the right rhythm....hence the 'darn it', which I actually thought of and had to approve since they thought it was so funny.
Have fun making up your own limerick and share it in the comments!!
1 comment:
What a cute idea!!! We'll have to try that!
Post a Comment