Friday, October 1, 2010

JOY

I love to do arts and crafts. The other day, in my women's circle at church, we had to go around the room and say what brought us joy in life, and besides the obvious kids and family answer, I said "arts and crafts".

And today I had a very willing accomplice. I watched Sami for the day...a four year old little girl who loves crafts and is very into fairies. Plus...I scored big at the thrift store the other day on a box of 1000 popsicle sticks.

So what else could we make...but beautiful boxes to store treasures in for the fairies. We found the idea here.



Then we went on a scavenger hunt and filled it up with wonderful things from our yard.


The fairies will be very excited.


We also made them a tree for shade. A very cute idea found here.


Sami was so excited to make these and it brought me JOY to watch her face light up at each activity we did...and at each piece of nature she chose for the fairies. When I said my answer in front of the group the other day, I felt dumb...there was no one that agreed with me, just a few slight smiles around the room and then on to the next person. I wondered if I was wrong about what brought me joy. Maybe I didn't even know for sure.

But after today, I know I was right.

What brings you JOY?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would have been beaming beside you in that circle - I love, Love, LOVE arts and crafts, with my kids, by myself, with friends.. love it! BTW, is that a quilt I see in your header? Something you're working on? Never doubt your joy to create. I think it's innate in everyone and sad when people lose that spark, to create.

medina family said...

Thanks, Mother Lode. Yes, you definitely have that spark!
The quilt was a gift from a friend when Diego was born...some inspiration for when I finally start one.

Kim Lukitsch said...

I love that you love arts and crafts ! You are a huge inspiration to me, who also loves crafting, but it doesn't come as easily to me as it does to you. I am stealing some of your great ideas for my preschool class this month !

medina family said...

Thanks, Kim....it's great to have friends that love crafts, too. I think you have great ideas...about being a mom, about things to do with kids, and about crafts!

I'd love to see how they turn out for your class.

Susan

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...