Tuesday, August 17, 2010

on his own

We headed back to the gym today with a new attitude and a new plan. I was ready to sacrifice my entire morning, three hours, and sit there with squirmy little Diego, if it would give Joaquin the confidence to be a part of his group. My thinking was that he would see how much fun it was and would realize he didn't need me there.

And it worked! It took about five minutes before he would go out on the mats, but right away he was smiling and jumping and tumbling with the other boys.

He'd look back every now and then and wave with a big smile on his face. I know he was enjoying himself and that made me happy....but I was headed toward miserable. First of all, those gyms never have air condition... just these big fans blowing hot air around and garage doors opened to the outside. Plus, Diego needed his morning nap and was hot and tired and becoming restless.

After an hour, I motioned to Joaquin that I was thinking of going. He was hesitant at first, but I told him Diego was tired and I'd come back a little early to watch him. And he was okay with it, so I left.

I found out from his coach later that he got a little upset after I had left, but when I came back, he was bouncing super-high on a trampoline and all smiles.

Tomorrow is going to be another day though. His coach won't be there.. that might throw him...plus I'm just not sure I can sit there again. So I'm thinking...the car needs new tires...if he'd rather sit with me at the tire store, than swing around a high bar, so be it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

tire store or high bar - smart mama! let us know how day 3 goes!

i was thinking of your family today - have you ever tried geocaching? it seems like something right up your alley, all the fun activities you do with your kids, especially outdoors.

medina family said...

We've never done geocaching but we've read about it and it does sound like fun. We tried letterboxing a couple of times and the kids liked that a lot.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...