Friday, December 14, 2007

amazing race-finale

Today was really an episode from the Amazing Race...I might be able to win that show with my experience!! I went to immigration at 9am...no the passport wasn't ready...we were told to come back or wait for 30 minutes. I had brought Joaquin and Isabela with me (and Juan Pablo's dad). He needed to check on something in another government building so we went and did that and came back when told. We waited for awhile and were then ushered into the Director's waiting area. Well, anyone who knows Joaquin...waiting is not his thing. I had exhausted myself of stories and imaginitive games...along with snacks and drinks...so when we finally got into the office...he was ready to cut loose...imagine the tazmanian devil tearing up the place. So the Director talked to Julio while I did Joaquin patrol....and as I found out later, he told Julio, "I need to say this to you, because I can't say it to her...but you need another document." So we left without the passport to try and get this other document. I left in tears and was crying most of the way home. Joaquin thought it was because of the way he acted...so he was like "I'm sorry, Mommy" which was very sweet. Julio spent most of the morning getting this last document...I went to Mamita Pancha's house for our Christmas lunch and we exchanged gifts. Julio arrived and said he turned in the paper and I should go back at 3pm, but that he couldn't go with me, so Beatriz would go.
We went back around 3:30 pm...and it was still not there! So we waited and waited and she finally brought it up...at almost 5pm. So bottom line...I do have the passport!!!!! But that's not the end of the story. She then told me I need to go to window 10 to get my ID card. You must get the ID card within 10 days, or there is a fine of 5 bolivianos per day. So we go to the window, and because I had an ID card 5 years ago, I need to have that card with me....well, I didn't have it of course. That meant I need to go to Interpol and report it as lost/stolen. But first I needed to get the number of my card from window 6...
are you as tired of reading this as I am of living it?
So we finally got the number...I forgot to mention Julio showed up during this whole process...Beatriz disappeared to the ATM when the man found my ID number and we had to leave her behind as we ran to Interpol to file the report. Keep in mind it's after 5pm now...everything closes at 6pm...and if I don't get this ID card today, there is a daily fine that accrues. So we arrived at Interpol and filed the report, which usually takes 24 hours...but the guy did me a favor and got it done TODAY! He told off Julio though because Julio had been pacing and giving dirty looks because it was taking so long. So we left there at 545pm....ran to a photo place because I had to have two photos...I literally ran the few blocks to Immigration to fill out the paperwork and Julio arrived a few minutes later with my photos. But the window to pay for the ID card was closed. HOWEVER, Julio can bring the paperwork on Monday after I leave and that will stop the crazy fine.
So the happy ending is I have the passport...I will be boarding the plane on Monday and not looking back!

3 comments:

Nancy Welge said...

woohoo! what a story. you really should write a book about this episode. and shhhh, don't talk so loud about not looking back! have a safe flight home. i guess it helps to have a tasmanian devil in the house sometimes!

robynreid said...

whew! glad you're all set. guess i'll get to see you christmas eve after all!

ezabet said...

thank god. i hope you have a safe trip and talk see all soon. peace. iluv ya.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...