Saturday, March 9, 2013

baby room with color!

I've been wanting to post pictures of our room redo for awhile now.  But I keep waiting until it's "done" and I'm not sure it ever will be, so better now than never!

Unfortunately, I have no before.  But imagine uncoordinated and ugly and that would be our room.  There was one mustard colored wall left over from Diego's 'cowboy' theme baby room, the same green carpet, a metal and wood bed, a rustic overflowing dresser, and who knows what else in there.

These were the initial changes we made:

* buy a king bed...with one more kid adding to the mix, there was never enough room in the bed on any given night.  We wanted a king, plus I wanted it low, so that when I put my feet on the floor to get up, they actually touched the ground.  No dangling!  The bonus was we bought a matching dresser for the bed when we went to IKEA.

*paint the walls neutral...I couldn't decide on what color I liked for the baby...I liked them all.  So I thought if I did neutral, then I could mix and match any color I wanted to.


IMG_7789

Our new bed!  We love it.  We splurged on the king pillows from the Original Mattress factory.  They're latex and oh! so worth it.  Notice the red window on the wall...that was a gift from Aunt Maggie to my grandma that I inherited...I just spray painted it red when red seemed to be the main color.  I like where it's hung because there's actually a window on the other side of the bed, and it looks like one's missing there.

IMG_7790

The wall hanging is from Bolivia, of course.  I've always loved the colors in it, but had it tucked away with my blanket storage.  It was really too rough to ever use as a blanket, but I love it hung on the wall!  There's also the 'birds on a wire' picture from Target...actually that is the first new thing I bought for the room when we started decorating, even before the bed.

And now for some reason, the horrid green carpet doesn't even bother me as much.  That was the first thing we were going to remove when we bought the house, and almost five years later, it's still there!

IMG_7791

Time to change diapers!  This is the first baby who actually gets a changing pad.  I'm pretty sure we just used the bed or floor for the others.  I've been sewing covers for it too, which is addictive like crib sheets.  I made two and still have two more to make.

IMG_7794

We went with using the dresser as the changing table...that's one less piece of furniture to buy and get rid of later.  Plus low furniture is my new 'must'.  With the boys constantly climbing on stuff, I'm less worried they'll get hurt with the low furniture.

The wall decal was $10 at Target...I love how the blossoms are blowing off the tree.

IMG_7796

These beautiful little bird pictures I copied from the journal JP gave me for my birthday.  They're too pretty not to look at all the time.  I guess I should tack them down on the bottom, too.

IMG_7797

The cloth diapers are all ready to go!

IMG_7660

And there's my new rocking chair.  After reading the rave reviews on overstock.com, I had to get it...and at a great deal.  I agree it's comfortable to rock in, but the plastic is a little cold so I may be sitting on a blanket until summer.

IMG_7802

And a close up.

IMG_7803

The crib fits right into the alcove beside the bed.  I couldn't get a full view picture because that side of the room was a mess!

IMG_7640

The last thing I was looking for was a dresser for the baby.  She has so many clothes already...hand me downs from a very generous friend who recently had a little girl of her own, things I picked up at consignment, and several from a surprise baby shower JP's soccer team threw us!

But a Target gift card later, and I came home with something much cheaper than a dresser!  This closet organizer.  Again, I love it...although I'm not sure it will always look this neat.  Isabela loves it, too, and now wants one for her up coming birthday.

IMG_7804

There are side pockets for little shoes.

IMG_7807

I've divided the shelves into sizes....up through six months!

IMG_7810

It won't be long now!!

IMG_7827

5 comments:

Unknown said...

You look fantastic Susan. Loved your room too. I have been without electricity since wed. Got it back yesterday and also got some sort of cold flu so totally blew a week of my life. And Diego's got game going on. Love you all.

Unknown said...

Everything looks great, Susan! And so do you!!! :)

medina family said...

Sounds like a long week, Maggie! Hope you are all better!

medina family said...

Hi Cara!! Thank you!

Stacey said...

you look adorable Susan! I love your room- it looks like something out of a magezine. I really like the closet organizer too.
Can you believe you're really going to do this all again??!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...