Monday, December 31, 2012

happy new year

Happy New Year to everyone!!

2013 family
(check out that belly on Diego!  he's making sure I'm not in this baby thing all alone.)

In looking back over our pictures from the day, I think I've discovered the theme for the next year:  simple.

I took the kids to the Science Museum's Noon Year's Eve party to get our day started.  We're members there and nothing beats free.

We passed the time making some arches....

joaquin and arch

...and taking a health check up.

The picture below is significant.  Joaquin just informed us a few days ago, he really isn't color blind.  He'd been lying for the last couple of years.  And while we were coloring, he aced our 'what color is this marker' test.

But you can't fool the real test.  Turns out, he's still color blind.  The test-givers were thrilled because he was the first one they'd come across.  Too bad there was no prize.

IMG_6934

Someone's ticklish, even if you hit her with a hammer.

IMG_6937

Check out this ornament, Mom!

diego and ornament

Why's everyone looking up?

looking up

Something's coming!

IMG_6961

Happy Noon Year!  2013 bouncy balls were thrown down to the onlookers below.

IMG_6984

Resolutions!
We tried it a new way this year.  We each decorated an envelope with our name after dinner.  Then each person thought of a resolution (or two!) for everyone else....what we thought THEY should work on for 2013.  Much more telling in my opinion.

I saved our silly props from last year for pictures.  Everyone loved it except Joaquin.  He was ready to move on to games, but I explained a little too graphically that once we're dead and gone, he'll be glad to have these pictures to look back on.

IMG_6993

Our one and only craft of the evening...cereal box numbers covered in glitter.

IMG_7015

And a last minute balloon drop idea.

IMG_7019

Armed with push pin poppers, those balloons didn't stand a chance!

balloons!

Wishing everyone a new year filled with promise, accomplishments, blessings and wonderful memories!!

2 comments:

Darlene said...

You are just the most amazing mom. You give so many wonderful learning experiences to your children. Everytime I read your blog I think...wow, I'll have to try that next year. Love the balloon idea! I had the girls make a banner, but they asked me to finish it. We did make snowy flubber & banged pots & pans, but that was about it. You know...I was like you regarding video games and I still dislike them, but Danny always got really upset when I grumbled about them. He put together a whole list of studies that have been done on the benefits of them. I have to say, I was a little surprised. Now I allow them in moderation, but frequently suggest they go outside instead :0). Thankfully, most of the time they're happy to put them down. Happy New Year to the Medinas!

medina family said...

Hey, Darlene! We did our balloon drop at 8pm! I learn each year, too...there was no way I was keeping them up late like we did last year.
Moderation is the hard part in this house I think. But they're wearing me down so they get way more time than they used to!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...