Wednesday, November 14, 2012

an annual tradition comes early

Every year, we load up to see the annual tree lighting at our outdoor mall and meet up with our friends  somewhere near the free giveaway table.

This year, the giveaway was a light up wand.  My favorite year was when they handed out the giant jingle bell on a wooden stick.  I'm still not sure why they haven't done that one again.


circle of light

Diego had fun lighting up daddy's backside.

diego playing lights

But be warned...these can make you zone out.

zoned out

Diego's at a great age where he understands so much, but everything is still amazing.  His expression was completely still as the crowd counted down from 10 and the huge tree lit up.

amazed

I think it's even bigger than last year.  They turned the snow machines on, too, but only for five minutes.  Even they agree it's too early for snow.

tree lighting

A trip around the build-a-bear store is also part of the tradition.  We never buy anything, but it's fun to look.  Except for Joaquin...he always goes in with the understanding that we're NOT buying one, but comes out brokenhearted and sullen.  It's something about that store, because as soon as we're away from it's magic spell, no one is thinking about build-a-bears anymore.

diego up shoulders

The next day, one of our local radio stations started playing all Christmas music.  Usually, they start the day after Thanksgiving, but I have to say, all this earliness has got me in the mood.   I've been making lists, checking them twice, and more importantly, pinning away ideas for our handmade gifts this year.  You can check them out here.  I'm still narrowing down the ones I can actually do in time, but I plan to get started this week...shhh! Don't tell the kids!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...