We had gotten our first Christmas card this year....from a business inviting us to some open house we would never attend. While I contemplated throwing it in the trash, I remembered the super easy way to recycle cards, and so I mindlessly turned it into a box.
Then I remembered this tedious advent calendar I tried one year. And I realized it would be so much easier and colorful to use old Christmas cards from years past to make the boxes. Unfortunately, I only had nine total...two being from our realtor that sold us our house almost five years ago. Nowadays, we all send those photo cards...my family included...but this idea doesn't really work with those, unless you want to see the folded faces of friends and family as they grew over the years.
When we got home, Isabela helped me whip out these nine boxes in no time. It's addictive, simple, and very forgiving...they don't have to be perfect. I added some sticker numbers for the countdown and some stick-on magnets to the back of the boxes.
The magnets aren't that strong, so you couldn't put more than a piece of paper in these...but my other thought was to hot glue just the bottom part of the box to some kind of picture frame or something to hang on the wall, and they would be much sturdier.
This year I'm hoping to do the "twelve dates of Christmas" with Juan Pablo...and we'll use these boxes to put the date ideas in. We've each thought of six inexpensive, fun ideas to reconnect with each other during this busy season. I hope we'll follow through with it!
For next year, I hope to have sewn one, maybe something like this...I love the ones where you move an object to the next pocket each day....a lot easier than thinking and doing 25 things during the busy month of December!
Do you use an advent calendar? Let me know if you try this one!
No comments:
Post a Comment