Monday, June 11, 2012

our favorite spot

Diego and I hit the local zoo one more time last week.  Can you tell he likes it?

We may even go again this week before the kids get out of school.  The zoo is right next to the school....you can even hear the lions roaring on the playground...if it's quiet, ha!

IMG_3230

The flamingos are one of the first animals to greet you at the zoo.

The word flamingo reminds me of the Spanish dance flamenco, although I don't think they are related in any way.  At Isabela's old latin dance school, I used to hear people call the dance flamingo, as in, "Go in to your flamingo class."  It used to bother me so much, but actually flamingo in spanish IS flamenco, so I guess those people weren't that far off.

flamingo

This parrot said, "Helro!" to us with a similar scooby-doo accent.  And another one nearby whistled 'Whu-woo!', the 'you're so pretty' whistle.  I was happy.

IMG_3227

My favorite bird of all time...the toucan.

IMG_3313

This zoo is full of beautiful birds.  This peacock came to check us out while we ate our sno-cones.

peacock

And this one was proudly strutting around with a rock in his beak that he had found.

IMG_3236

The monkeys are the second best thing at this zoo.  Most people probably go for the white tigers and to feed the giraffes, but in my old age, I prefer the amazing colors of the birds, and the huge variety of monkeys that they have.

Just look at the piercing stare of this lemur.

IMG_3229

And the grandfatherly wisdom of this bearded monkey.

IMG_3238

And the cleverness of this hungry monkey looking for a little change in diet.

IMG_3240

We grabbed our usual sno-cones and decided to take the train this time.  This zoo has a train ride that takes you to a 'secret' part of the zoo.  We had always wondered what was back there....

IMG_3281

....it turns out it's a free-range African savannah.  The animals are free to walk right up to the train!

This ostrich was busy drinking water from that tube in the ground.

ostrich

There were many types of herd animals back there, mostly gazelles and goat like animals.  Nothing dangerous, I imagine.

IMG_3304

These were the only ones curious enough to come right up to the train.

IMG_3309

The guide pointed out these ostrich eggs sitting right on the middle of the ground.  Did you know the male ostrich is black because he sits on the eggs at night and the female ostrich is gray because she sits on the eggs during the day?  The tour guide told us all kinds of neat facts like that.

IMG_3312

Diego and I hope to get a lot more use out of our zoo pass this year.  Maybe we'll be brave and try the sky ride next time!

diego

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...