We have an undiagnosable medical mystery on our hands.
If you're curious, here it is:
Joaquin, age 7, wakes up in the middle of the night CRYING about his feet hurting. It doesn't happen every night...it actually hasn't happened in many months, but it happened two nights ago which is why I'm mentioning it.
It probably started happening when he was five.
Back then, I thought he had a bone or stress fracture. It seemed to happen when he'd done a lot of jumping or running around the day before. We took him to the doctor, I think they even did Xrays, despite him being able to walk and jump fine...but they came back normal and so they said it was nothing.
The other night, I gave him Tylenol and jumped on the Internet, while JP massaged his feet to see what I could find. I was shocked that lots of people have had the same thing happen to their children, and no doctor seems to be able to tell us what it is.
There were several suggestions of things that have worked to help alleviate the pain....so we tried two of them. Tylenol, obviously, but wearing socks was the other.
Yesterday, Joaquin informed me the socks worked in about five minutes. I'm thinking the medicine just kicked in, but for now we're sticking with the socks.
JP and I had a small discussion at the dinner table about it last night, as well. His idea is that the AC affects Joaquin, maybe when his feet are sticking out from the covers. (The AC is the culprit in another of our medical mysteries...Isabela used to throw up in the morning if her belly got exposed in the middle of the night. Strange...one throw up, and then she was fine. We made her tuck in her pj shirt to her pj bottom. Cured.)
I am, of course, hugely skeptical. I've slept in AC all my life and never heard of either of these two things. He noted, of course, that I sleep in socks and pjs.
So maybe he's on to something? Any thoughts?
5 comments:
wow, that is a mystery. I remember when nick was growing up that he had growing pains but they were in his legs......are joaquin's feet growing disproportionately to the rest of him? i would definitely stick with your cures though.
Growing pains was brought up...his feet are normal sized :)
I guess that could be it...all the things I read seemed like it would stop after about age nine. Weird though!
Susan, maybe Joaquin gets cramps in his feet when they're not under the covers (they get cold and scrunch up). I sometimes get them and put socks on to warm my feet up. Just a thought!
And btw, the 2 words one is supposed to type are barely legible. I had to do it twice to get it right! Could be my eyes! I'm old!
Thanks, Nancy. Cramps could be another possibility. It hasn't happened since we discovered the cure.
BTW, I took the word verification off...we'll see how it goes. Thanks for the suggestion.
Post a Comment