Can I just say that library events are the best! Always free, and usually interactive and engaging for the kids.
Isabela couldn't keep away from these so soft angora bunnies. Every time I thought she was lost, I'd find her over here.
The baby alpacas were cute, too, and the kids enjoyed feeding them multiple times.
Home Depot had set up bug catcher kits for the kids to hammer together. I'd forgotten how much the kids love these workshops.
There was a fortune teller who tried to guess our names (she got them all wrong, btw), a balloon twister who made some great spiders dangling from a pole, and I missed getting us a free caricature drawing...shoot! I've always wanted one of those.
The craft tables had masks, flowers, and paper weaving. Isabela's waiting patiently for the boys in the long balloon line....
...I guess she got a little bored.
The big highlight was going to be some fire twirlers. They had set out a bunch of hula hoops for the kids to do while we waited for the show to start. If you haven't seen Isabela hula hoop, you are missing an amazing talent. She can go for...ev...er. And slow and effortlessly. Here, she discovered multiple hoops are just as easy. She even had her friend, Sami, throwing them on over her head and kept right on going. If the veterinary thing doesn't work out, she's definitely got a back-up plan.
The five minute fire act was mesmerizing, but I really had more fun watching our own kids during the 45 minute pre-show.
Back to the whole point of this, summer reading. I've signed up for the ivillage PBS kids summer reading challenge, a read out loud book club, and picked up various reading logs from bookstores across the area. I think I've got our bases covered.
Currently I'm reading The Well Trained Mind and enjoying it. The kids are reading various chapter books, but haven't found a compelling one since Middle World.
Reading anything good this summer?
2 comments:
Are your kids signed up for the Barnes and Noble one? It's only school-aged but once they've read 8 books, recorded them and to whom they'd recommend them, they can turn it in for a free book. My just finished kindergartner did it the first week of vacation! Our library has a great summer reading program too so we're loving it! Have you read any Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle books to your kids? That's the read aloud we just started and they think it's pretty funny. We're almost to the end of The Magic Tree House series so we needed to find something else to move on to. Have a great summer!
Hi Caroline! It's great to hear from you! I hope your having a great summer!
Thanks for reminding me about the B&N one...wow! I can't believe yours already finished. That's motivation! We did Mrs. Piggle Wiggle before...that used to be my favorite, but it was so different when I read it as an adult.
Magic Tree Houses are great, too! (And everything was still. Absolutely still.)
Post a Comment