Sunday, December 20, 2009

snow driving

Friday night was quite an adventure for us. Our friend, Daniela, from Bolivia, was due to arrive at the downtown bus terminal at 5:30pm and since JP was working, I was the one to go down and pick her up with the three kids. Well, of course, the huge snowfall had just started. We left the house around 4:30pm because I had to make a quick stop and then I didn't want her to have to wait for us there. I told the kids to pack a snack in case they were hungry, but they assured me they wouldn't need it. You can see where this is going right?
All the kids fell asleep on the drive down, and so I just parked the car in the tiny lot out front and waited....watching the snow gently falling. I called Daniela at 5:45pm when she wasn't there yet to see what was up...she said they were still on the way, but she wasn't sure where she was. Here's the play by play details of what ensued.... eventually, the kids woke up....watched the snowfall...wondered when Daniela was going to arrive...said they were hungry...I found a spare funsize pack of M&Ms which we all split...watched the snowfall...ate some snow that was collecting on the side mirror...talked about leaving Daniela there...told bad knock knock jokes...cried because they were hungry, bored, thirsty, had to go to the bathroom...screamed because they wanted to leave....all until 7:30 when the bus finally got there!!
By now the snow was thick on the streets...very treacherous driving. I literally drove 10 miles an hour down the highway towards home. This was the first time I was ever scared driving in snow. I wanted to just stop...but I knew the snow would just keep falling so we pushed on...past spun out cars and blinking hazard lights. We slipped and slided along the road at a snail's pace...and finally got stuck...in our own driveway!! Daniela was able to move the snow away so we could pull all the way in and we finally made it home at 9pm! Almost 5 hours in the car!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...