Stop
Don't Touch
Run Away
Tell an adult
Saturday, we happened to go to the Lowe's kids' class and they were building a toy fire truck. But the best part was the real firemen and fire engines that were there. Of course, we've all been there and done that, but this time, for some reason, it was different. If there's one thing I've learned over the last few weeks, it's: ask questions. You learn the most interesting stuff... and retain it... if you do this. So Juan Pablo and I were asking away and learned things we never knew. For example, did you know....
...that fire engines actually have water in them. Depending on the truck, it's only enough to last 1-3 minutes, but it gets them started while they are looking for the hydrant.
...or that in the good old days, they could ride holding on to the back of the engine with a strap wrapped around their waist that was hooked to a bar overhead...but that stopped being allowed in '92 due to the number of accidents fire engines were in
...or that one of the trucks we saw could hold six men, but usually only three go out on calls due to budget cuts?
Interesting stuff! Plus we picked up a handful of worksheets for the kids to learn more about fire safety. I guess we've got this one covered!
1 comment:
That is so awesome!!! When is their next workshop? I know last year we wanted to go, but it was always during their soccer games on Sat.
Post a Comment