Friday, October 5, 2007

lesser known facts

Here is some other great info about Bolivia:

10. You may NOT pump your own gas...there are girls at the pump that do it. I don't know why it is only girls...probably because most drivers are men.

9. They sell white bread with crusts already cut off!

8. Cars here have different names...example we drive a Passat and it is called a Bora.

7. All eggs are brown.

6. Ice cream bars are only 1 boliviano..(it takes a little over 7 to make $1 US.)

5. No one uses checks or credit cards...we do have a debit card, but not many places will accept it...just the grocery store does that I can remember right now.

4. If something breaks, you are more likely to fix it than throw it away. There are lots of shoe tailors who mend shoes, there are lots of blacksmiths who weld metal, and there are car repair guys who can glue a broken turn signal light back together...I don't know if they glue it but they do something to put it back together like new.

3. Everyone has a maid/cook/nanny. That person is usually a young girl and she often lives in the house. They build houses with a room especially for the maid. We don't have one because I don't want one...and a lot of the other Americans I met don't have one either.

2. No one does home improvements themself. No Home Depot! You contract someone to fix whatever it is...and it ususally isn't that expensive.

1. Houses are made out of bricks and cement. Juan Pablo and Joaquin can jump around like looneytunes and nothing shakes around them!! Plus there is barely a fire department here. There aren't many fires because of the materials that are used. I'll try to get a picture of the fire truck I've seen...you wouldn't recognize it.

If you want more information about any of these, just let me know!!

1 comment:

ezabet said...

have you seen or are interested in doing more habitat for humanity..or building houses of the sort?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...