Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Christmas Eve


I always picture Christmas Eve as a night filled with appetizers and karaoke singing.  I guess because as a kid, I arrived at my grandma's house at night and that's just how it went.

But Christmas Eve is actually an entire day of anticipation.

So with Juan Pablo at work and four excited kids, I decided to take them to Bass Pro Shops' Santa Land.  It's always been fun in the past.

Isabela in her new grown-up coat.  Thank you, Aunt Maggie!


Santa Land was like a broke-down Santa Land this year, but that didn't deter the kids.  These trucks worked well, but you can only crash them into the bar so many times.


Carmen was content to sit in the cart (whew!) and definitely likes to smile for the camera.


The kids decided these would be great Christmas gifts.



The slot cars would not work well, but they kept trying.


We tried our luck with the free shooting range.


There weren't long lines, but the kids weren't that interested in it this year.


So we quickly headed off to see the giant bear....


...and some fish.  I'm glad I had $3 in my pocket.  They had the most fun at the .50 cent shooting range, but then we quickly left for home wondering why so many people go there in the first place.


Time to make some cookies!


Little poser.


I think I have a picture of me making this same face!


Isabela headed up the baking.


But Joaquin said he didn't like gingerbread so he chose a complicated sugar cookie recipe.



Does Santa always eat cookies at your house?  This year he left some on the plate.  In the morning, Diego and I finished them off.  The kids were disgusted that I bit off the same cookie that Santa did.

Carmen was a little angel at the church service.  I have no idea where that halo appeared from!


And a huge fog rolled in just as it was getting dark.  Rudolph would definitely be needed this night.


Some of the kids enjoyed a cardboard box...



...it's a bus, it's a drum....


...it's broken!


And Daddy finally made it home, so we decided to go see some Christmas lights.  We have NEVER gone to look at lights on Christmas Eve, but we are five minutes from a house that won a national award for their lights, and said why not?  You should have seen the line of cars!  We waited thirty minutes, then decided to park and walk.  It was a great decision.  Plenty of time to enjoy the lights and fresh air for the night.



Carmen was amazed.  We all were.


Off to bed now, kids.  Christmas is coming!




2 comments:

Aunt Maggie said...

what a great story and izzy looks wonderful in that coat. glad she could wear it...............

Peace and Blessings said...

Cool sugar cookie cane ! Ginger bread sounds tasty we made kiss topped pb cookies and sour dough poundcake!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...