We have movie night like most families...although lately it's been more like movie any time of the day.
I've been wanting to make it a little more special somehow.
Last week, we hit the library, and the older kids always gravitate to the movies...usually I say no, but this time I thought I'd be sneaky and say yes, knowing we'd do something different this time.
One of the movies they got was "The Secret Life of Arietty". They'd already seen it, but it's been awhile.
So here's the creative part: before they could watch the movie, they each had to use a shoebox and come up with some kind of scene or mini world like Arietty lives in. They couldn't talk about it or show each other (although I'm sure they caught glimpses) because I didn't want three of the same thing. Also, Diego and I worked together...he was the cutter and I was the planner.
We also thought to make awards. Everyone would get an award for some made up category.
Joaquin won for 'most like a scene from the movie'.
Isabela won for 'most like a real Borrower' because she used so many trinkets from around the house.
They had a lot of fun making these, and it was way better than just plopping in a movie and vegging, although that can be fun, too, sometimes.
Diego and I did an outdoor scene in the tall grass. I told them I was planning a secret weapon...it was the little Arietty doll. It was way harder than it looked, so she turned out a little scary.
We finally chucked the boxes in the trash yesterday. And even though I've already forgotten the movie, I think we'll remember creating these little scenes long from now.

No comments:
Post a Comment