Wednesday, February 19, 2014

happy

I've been analyzing happiness lately.  

It's been a reoccurring theme all over the place. Radio, books, life in general.
On NPR, Terri Gross interviewed an author the other day who wrote about parenting--a book called All Joy and No Fun.

Any hands?

Take this cute little baby that is pulling up to stand now.  I smile and clap and am so proud of her!



But now in her crib, she can't figure out how to get down once she's up.  And she's tired.  So there's more crying going on.


Plus she just might pull this wobbly rocking chair over on herself.  Well, there's no might about it.  She's done it.
AND, she can reach the lego table with all those colorful little bits.  It's her favorite go-to spot now. 

I'm consistently amazed at how I can be so happy and then so unhappy all in the same day. Those toddler emotional roller coasters have definitely rubbed off on me.

While I'm joyful at watching her accomplish these amazing milestones, it's not fun knowing there will be bumps and bruises along the way.


"Clap along, if you feel, that happiness is for you."

We are loving Pharrell's song, "Happy". 

It was our theme song over the snow break, and I even tried to get the kids to make their own music video with some new words.  Here's what we came up with:

Clap along, if you feel, that snow days are for you.
Clap along, if you feel, sledding's what you want to do.
Because I'm happy...






Clap along, if you feel, like an igloo without a roof.
Clap along, if you feel, like snowball fights are cool.
Because I'm happy.


Joaquin was so happy building this igloo.  He actually built two igloos:  one on his own, and the other with the help of his dad.  He nearly froze to death.  I had to force him to come in.  And he NEVER wants to stay outside.

The next day, the snow was so frozen, he could walk on his igloo.  





So I often wonder why I'm not happy.  

And I'll take you through my thought process.  Here's how my crazy brain works.

I thought about my husband and his happiness.  He gets up and goes to work and generally likes his job.  He gets lots of pats on the back and team lunches.  Not to mention those little things called checks, plus maybe a bonus every now and then.  He's acknowledged for all the work that he does.  That would make you feel good, right?

Then I imagined us trading places.  I'd go to work and he'd stay home with the kids.

But then I realized he'd love that, too.  He'd watch TV all day, play games and take naps.

And the little light bulb lit above my head, and I realized I'm just not doing anything for ME anymore. And I know this.  I've been ranting about it for awhile.  But I'm realizing it's in the little things, too.

So instead of folding clothes or crossing off one more To Do, I went to the gym this morning.  Yes, I'm dog tired, but exercise is good for people.  It makes them happy.  (Plus I could get a small break from my joyful children. Win-Win.)

Next, Diego and I had planned to eat at Chick-Fil-A.  This is not unusual for us when I go to the gym, but we almost always eat from the drive-thru.  WHY?  So I can get home and fold more clothes?  (Which is weird because me and three of my kids almost always have NOTHING to wear.)

What an amazing lunch we had!  It was SO HAPPY!  And I'm not kidding.  What a difference it was eating inside verses on the run.

Here's a bullet list:

*  Diego had the run of the playland.  There were no other kids at 11am.
*  Carmen had her first applesauce pouch and LOVED it.  She even figured out how to use it!
*  Another older couple couldn't stop smiling at us and even commented on how much fun we looked like we were having!
*  Carmen went in the playland for the first time and was squealing with excitement.  Diego banged at her through the plexiglass, we listed to the echo on the slide, we looked for the moon in the rocketship windows.  

I wished I had my camera, but snapping away can be distracting from enjoying the moment, and that's one of the important things about happiness.  Living in the moment.

And the day got even better.  Carmen took a huge nap and Diego and I were able to play tag and baseball outside in our melted, snow-soaked, muddy yard.  Our driveway is full of puddles, so we played 'throw the pebble into the puddle' and made up our own rules.  But then we discovered crystal rocks, and there were amazing treasures hidden among the moss-covered gravel.  We searched and searched until our hands were overflowing with beautiful, wet rocks.

And that was happiness to us.

I know I can't throw the to-do list away everyday, but how often can I?  

Once a week?

The sign at the gym says a one hour workout is only 4% of your day.  I can give myself 4% of my day.

I've been waiting for everything to fall into place until I can be happy.  And that's just not going to happen.  I have to choose to be happy...right now.

And right now, I can smile at this happy day I had.  (Although the evening turned to pot, but that would just ruin the story, wouldn't it?)

How about you?  What was the last thing you remember that made you truly happy? Please share it! 

10 comments:

Aunt Maggie said...

I love your writing suzie, you are so thoughtful and inspiring. You know me all i want is to be happy. Well first of all my Ipod loaded with music peeps that i love makes me happy. So when i am getting ready for work i play that and sing and dance in the bathroom. and as my new years resolution is to make Rick laugh once a day, the past two days i came out dancing to the beatles. One day was the Pony and the next day was the Twist. That makes me happy. Music and dancing and your stories.

medina family said...

You are always so happy, Maggie! Your laugh is contagious and I love it. I have a picture of you and me laughing, and it's one of my favorites.

You and music and dancing definitely brings a smile to my face. Jingle bells, anyone?? Oh yeah.

Unknown said...

That igloo looks awesome! Spending more time with each other would make us both happier! Let's do it!

medina family said...

Your sense of humor, Kate, always makes me laugh. Yep, that would make me happy :)

Darlene said...

You need a column in the newspaper. Truly! Love your writing! I battle with this, too. I'm happy when I'm outside with my kids...when I take time to just watch them & play w/ them. I'm also happy when I'm outside by myself...when I'm able to reflect on all that I've been blessed with :0).

medina family said...

I agree, Darlene...being outside makes us all so much happier. I'm looking forward to spring, but today was a beautiful day. We hit the park and everyone loved it.

Thanks for saying those nice things about my writing. It's definitely evolved over time. I'd love to get an article published one day; it's on my bucket list, but if there were deadlines involved, I think I'd immediately have writer's block!

Sarah @ Baby Bilingual said...

Love the igloos and also the idea of modifying the pop song lyrics to reflect what our children are experiencing!

I cherish my alone time and find I like my children (and my house) better when I get a break from them (and housework).

medina family said...

That's true, Sarah! It's so nice to come home (and to hear, "Mommy!") after being away for awhile!

Stacey said...

cute post! always inspiring.... I've been so busy trying to be happy, I forgot to blog or read blogs for the last month. Must slow down! luv you Susan!

medina family said...

I think it's great to take a break from blogs. I need to purposely do that more. There's just not enough time in the day to read all the blogs and pin all the pins, oh and take care of the children :)

Glad you've been happy, Stacey!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...