So we ended up at Rockwood Park. I usually avoid the playground there and head straight for the trail. The playground is overcrowded and boring for me. I didn't want to have to worry whether or not my kids were sharing with others, being polite, or getting pushed around themselves. Plus the trail is an adventure! You never know what you'll come across.
Like what the heck is that guy doing on the sign?
We spied this bright green piece of fluff and thought it was a caterpillar. Then realized it was just a piece of moss. Come to think of it, I don't think we saw any wildlife. It is still winter even though it's warm.
Diego found this walking stick quickly on and pretty much used it as a gun the whole time. He's my Lord of the Flies boy.
I had to teach him not to shoot at other joggers or passersby. He was so proud of himself..."Look ma, I didn't shoot the guys!"
The stick came in very handy when Joaquin kicked the soccer ball into the creek. I finally convinced him to brave the slight embankment covered with leaves and use the stick to bring the ball close. He did it, then threw the ball up to me and I watched it roll right off the other side of the trail into an even steeper creek bed. This time, I had to be brave and risk slipping into the mud. It's a funny story now, but I was fussing the whole time. Way to ruin a memory, mom. I'm going to try and remember that the next time something goes wrong.
Some of the exercises along the trail are really difficult....this is supposed to be like the pole vault...up and over the bar.
Some required a lot of concentration.
Joaquin was quick to help his brother. But Diego's fighting for independence now...no more helping for him.
And he did do it all by himself!
He's so proud.
We made it a mile and a quarter around the trail. I had brought the wagon in case Diego got tired, but I ended up pulling Joaquin most of the time. It turns out Diego's my cross country runner, while Joaquin is the sprinter.
A day out with my boys can be exhausting, but it's also invigorating. Here's to boys!
God made a world out of His dreams
of majestic mountains, oceans and streams,
prairies and plains and wooded land,
then paused and thought...
"I need someone to stand
on top of the mountains, to conquer the seas,
explore the plains and climb the trees.
Someone to start out small
and grow sturdy and strong like a tree,"
and so...
He created boys, full of spirit and fun,
to explore and conquer, to romp and run,
with dirty faces and banged up chins,
with courageous hearts and boyish grins.
When He had completed the task He'd begun,
He surely said, "That's a job well done."
(author unknown)
No comments:
Post a Comment