Thursday, July 3, 2008
paper or plastic?
The other day I was in Kroger and saw their black reusable grocery bags for .99 cents and thought that's a great idea! Afterall, those plastic ones are so bad for the environment, blowing around and getting caught on animal's necks and never disintegrating...the paper ones kill thousands of trees...plus they use those reusable ones in Bolivia...so I bought three. I made sure to leave them in the car for my next shopping trip. A couple of days later, I was back at Kroger, and it wasn't until I was checking out that I realized my black bags were still in the car! So, here's 6 more plastic bags to blow around...forget the fact that the stuff also falls out of them on the way home. The next day, I was at Walmart checking out and saw that they, too, have black reusable shopping bags...that's when I realized I could use them at different stores, not just Kroger, and surely I get more plastic bags at Walmart anyway...so I bought one of theirs (which are a dollar, by the way)...afterall, I'll definitely need at least four to buy all my groceries. So I'm so excited about using my new bags and I rush home to show Juan Pablo this great new idea. And I actually used them once at Kroger and got paid .05 cents for each bag! Also, when I opened up my trunk, there were the four bags sitting nicely waiting to be carried into the house in only two trips! So then yesterday, I went to Walmart with Juan Pablo and as we're getting out of the car he hands me one of the bags to take inside for any purchases we might make. Did I mention my purse is a black square bag as well? So we meandered through the aisles, looking at all the stuff we don't need, throwing things in the cart here and there...and sure enough, it wasn't until we were loading our purchases into the car, that I realized I hadn't used that black bag again!! It was still on my arm behind my purse! Juan Pablo says that he doesn't think I'm going to save the planet using these bags, but I'm still hopeful. So what will it be for you, paper, plastic, or recyclable?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
i've used reusable bags since the beginning of the year, and i love them. (i was prodded a little by that stripped bag i got for christmas!) i'm equal opportunity, i use whole foods and bloom and trader joe's and safeway bags at all the stores. i still forget sometimes when i go to CVS or Target, but they are SOOO much easier. most go right over my shoulder and carry a TON. a lot easier to navigate a few heavy bags than a billion light ones... and now i don't have that one cabinet in my kitchen that spews out squished up plastic bags every time i open it!
I am all for saving the planet for our grandchildren and their children, i shall start immediately, july 3rd, and i have my bolivian bag right handy sitting on the floor in my bedroom by the door, i shall go home and get it and then got to the store, i guess i will need a few more. no more plastic for me, but what about my trash can liners????????????????????????
You are so funny Susan- I can totally relate to your forgetfulness about the bags! It was my new years resolution to use canvas bags. I bought about six of them and I've been riding around town with them in the back of my van for about six months now and I've used them about.... two times! Everytime I toss my plastic shopping bags in the back, I cringe seeing those un-used canvas bag still laying there. Blame it on the kids and all the other one-hundred things on our minds when we're trying to get in and out of a store quick! One of these days we'll get it together and start saving the planet- ha!
Post a Comment