I'm pretty sure I remember going kicking and screaming to my first ballet class when I was eight years old. We all know how that turned out. (For those of you who don't, ballet became my life for the next eight years. I spent summers in far away cities dancing at renown schools and every hour after school at the Richmond Ballet.)
And Carmen started off in much the same way. She cried at the trial class and had no intention of ever going back.
I'm not sure what changed, but one day she wanted to go to dance, which takes place in her same school, where I work.
These are photos from the final recital.
OMG. Is she a mini-me or WHAT?
Carmen loves a rub-on-tattoo. We're lucky there's only two on her hand.
She also took tap.
Her amazing smile wasn't going to last long.
Just like mama... performing in front of people is just so stressful!
Two seconds after this last picture, I knew what was coming. I put down my camera and opened my arms. She came running over, tap-tap-tap, and leapt into my lap bawling. We all comforted her and lavished her with praise, while the other girls finished out the song. I will always remember that hug.
The following Tuesday while getting ready for school, she exclaimed, "I have dance today!"
So resilient, that spirit of children!

No comments:
Post a Comment