I am taking one graduate class this semester called Content Area Reading. That's fancy talk to me. Someone asked me what my content area was during orientation, and it took me a few seconds to respond with "Spanish". Whatever happened to, "What do you want to teach?"
Anyway, we've done three projects in this class so far. This video is the last one I did, briefly summarizing a book I had to read called 51 Wacky We-Search Reports, full of ideas of projects for kids. What could be more appropriate than using all the creative projects my kids have done over the years? They've had some great teachers, and these projects are what they remember most. (OK, so there are some Halloween costumes thrown in there, too, but they went along with an egypt unit study and children's books.)
Taking this class has been inspiring. I'm still the one sitting in class wondering what the heck they're talking about when they use words like paradigm, pedagogy, and scaffolding techniques. But we've been reading lots of great picture books I can't wait to read to my own kids at night, plus I am getting to observe some real middle school Spanish classes! The teachers I've sat in on are amazing, hard working, creative, and willing to share everything they've learned over the years with me. I've still got a long way to go, but so far, I'm enjoying being a student again.
No comments:
Post a Comment