Wednesday, December 2, 2015

thank you

What a gorgeous day to be thankful!

We headed up the familiar 95 route to see long lost family--minus one family member of our own.  Joaquin was in Barcelona, Spain, at a soccer camp for ten days.  He got to see FCBarcelona play, visit the Sagrada Familia church and Park Guell, and play sand soccer on the beach.  It was an amazing experience for an eleven year old boy.

But it meant missing his favorite holiday and the traditional bike ride through DC with his great uncle.  And, of course, the weather couldn't have been any more perfect.  It sure beats the year they biked in frigid temperatures.

Isabela decided at the last minute that she MUST bake some cookies.  But we had none of the ingredients she was looking for.  She wanted to go to the store.  Um....no.

I encouraged her to find a recipe for something that we had...how about oranges?

And, she ended up making the most amazing orange cookies ever.  We took a batch up to family, but ended eating most of them ourselves!

Meet Ivy.  This frozen picture is the stillest you'll ever see her stay.  


 I'm pretty sure Ivy is the reason Diego stayed perched in this tree for so long.


Aunt Leah Ann said she still wasn't sure Carmen could walk because she was always in my arms.  (Again, we can blame Ivy.)  But she did walk, and even smiled a bit.


Another reason why brown is my favorite color!


Aunt Leah Ann's gourd patch turned out one tiny gourd.  Still very cool.



A rare picture of Isabela.  She does have an amazing way of escaping just before I snap a picture.


We had so much fun laughing with family.  I think that is what I am most thankful for:  laughter.

So here's one to give you a little chuckle.  I totally did not mean for this picture to turn out this way...just wanted to get one of my husband, since I'm usually chasing the kids around with the camera.  Aunt Beth has some unusual artwork around her place.



The beautiful Thanksgiving table.


And two little munchkins waiting to be served.  See that little man over Diego's shoulder.  He was totally creeping Diego out during dinner, so I ended up covering him up with a napkin.   Art is so subjective, isn't it?


Yet even in this condo full of glass tables and precious art, Diego and a friend were able to practice the art of fighting.  They dashed around the place kicking and spinning and managed not to break a thing.  (Phew...thankful sigh.)


  Here's to making Thanksgiving more than just a polite word when someone passes the salt.  A thankful heart.  A thankful soul.  This is what I'll be working on.

Cheers!

(And just for one more quick laugh...inspired words from Shel Silverstein:)

I’m making a list

I’m making a list of the things I must say for politeness,
And goodness and kindness and gentleness, sweetness and rightness:
Hello
Pardon me
How are you
Excuse me
Bless you
May I?
Thank you
Goodbye
If you know some that I forgot,
                                                         Please stick them into your eye!  


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...