Tuesday, December 15, 2015

st lucia's day

I keep trying to make Christmas about more than just the presents.  
Because in the end, it's not the presents you remember when you're older.  The other day, I tried to remember some of the presents I ripped open Christmas morning as a kid.  I could only think of three, and one was because I've seen it in a picture.

What I do remember is family... gathering, laughing, singing.  

I want to extend this season.  I want it to last more than one morning in December.

And that brings us to St. Lucia's Day, celebrated in Scandinavian countries on December 13th.  Traditionally, the oldest daughter wears a crown of candles and prepares a breakfast.  But Isabela was sleeping off her late night movie at the Byrd Theatre.  That left my early-riser, Carmen.

She helped me bake fresh, from scratch, cinnamon buns.  Never in my life have I baked these.   Here's the recipe--it's quick... no rise time... and delicious.

And then we made her crown of candles.  And, really, there was no way Isabela would have worn one of these anyway.



Carmen was thrilled about the green band, but when I started adding the candles she, too, threw a fit, crying and collapsing to the floor.  But somewhere along the way, she changed her mind and even talked about wearing it to school one day.


Here she is walking down the hallway to deliver cinnamon buns to the sleepy household.


I don't know if it's a tradition we'll continue.  My kids will probably remember their Christmases as a time when "mom used to look up every tradition known to man and make us try it".  

They're probably right.  Maybe I should just let Christmas happen as it will.  God will make it special without my interference.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...