Juan Pablo gave me a funny smile... because as any Bolivian knows, Peru is not Bolivia. But in my mind, it was as close as we could get for now.
I think that in the busy-ness of life, we often forget that we are raising bicultural children. We struggle to keep up the Spanish in an ever-increasing English speaking day...there's school, homework, friends. Bolivian foods are replaced with quick and easy spaghetti and taco soup.
But I'm not giving up. I've told Isabela that we are going to have 'Bolivian dinner night' where we cook one dish each week....and she's so excited, sighing each time I say it can't be tonight.
And I'm repeating myself in Spanish every time I realize I could have just as easily said it in Spanish in the first place. Like last night...Joaquin walked out of TaeKwonDo without shoes on. That's usual. But I said, "No tienes zapatos?" And he stopped mid sentence and ran back to the building to get his shoes. And I was happy.
So.... this past Saturday, on empty stomachs and with tired bodies, we headed downtown.
The kids protested, complained, and fought with each other...plus I had to change Carmen as soon as we arrived...all of this trying to coax us into just giving up and going home...but I was undeterred.
At the entrance, the kids were given a little passport and were told to get stamps at the various activities, then come back for their reward...a colorful friendship bracelet. Best. Idea. Ever. That was all they needed to hear, and hunger pangs ceased and interest soared.
Here's Diego playing his handmade zampoña.
Isabela weaving on a loom.
We decided to split up at one point...the boys went on to carve a stamp and Isabela sat to watch some dancing. But in the end, they got their prize.
But the best was yet to come....a parade. And guess who was there?? Bolivian dancers!! See the flag on her costume....red, yellow, and green.
The kids were speechless as they watched. And Isabela is ready to sign on the dotted line to join a Bolivian dance troupe. She made a video and memorized the moves already.
Then, in an instant, we're back into our everyday life, stopping by McDonald's on the way home when our hunger pangs returned with a fierceness.
But for a few hours, the kids reflected on a heritage and culture that makes them who they are. And I am excited to help them discover it, even half a world away.
No comments:
Post a Comment