Sunday, May 2, 2010

fine art

Today we drove downtown to the Virginia Museum of Fine Art for their grand opening weekend. It was pretty awesome. Starting with these amazing dancing masks that were "resting" against the museum when we walked up.


Inside was this awesome sculpture, which looked like melted crayons to me. I asked Joaquin if he'd make me one, and he said yes...I'm quite sure he could, too. (A little foreshadowing?... We drove by the huge mansions on Cary Street on the way there...very exciting for the kids...as we passed one I said, "Look! That one has a sculpture in their garden." "No fair!" said Joaquin. "They have a sculpture and we don't." I responded,"Well, you could make us one.")


There were free drinks and free activities for the kids, including these t-shirts they could decorate with fabric markers.


But the absolute best part was seeing the dancing masks as we were leaving. They are held up by large poles that people are moving underneath the material and seem VERY lifelike.


Diego was fascinated by the lion at first...


...but it REALLY liked Isabela and was literally touching her with it's nose.


Here she is surrounded by both of them and thoroughly enjoying it!


Quite an amazing place.

1 comment:

Kim Lukitsch said...

wish we could have gone there instead of doing yard and housework all day ! Glad you had fun!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...