Friday, June 29, 2007

Road trip part 3



So the whole reason we went to Iquique was to go to this mall right here called la Zofri. It is where all the things are brought off the ships from China and where ever else and they are sold really cheap there. If you notice in the one picture the mall is just a big tent that is open to the outside....that is because it never rains there...desert...I think his father said it rained once in '78 or something like that. The mall is beautiful and had a food court with McDonald's and KFC among others...I chose McDonald's and it was great...the fries and quarter pounder were super hot! The kids had fun eating ice cream and playing in this huge play area with little rides and air hockey and stuff.
But once we found the stuff to buy...a frige, an oven, a microwave, a washer and dryer, and a vaccuum...we had to find a pilotera someone who would carry it across the border to La Paz for us. They cross over somewhat illegally I think...well paying the officials at the border point. I know they don't cross where we did, but I'm not sure exactly how it works. But it took 2 days to get all this organized and most of the time I was watching the kids in that play area...the ice cream guy smiled at us one day and motioning to Joaquin said "Loud".

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...