My first summer working was pretty hard on our fun meter. So the weekend before school started, we planned to go camping at our first ever KOA in Williamsburg. Since there's a discount when you get a membership, we decided to join for a year.
Juan Pablo splurged on the cabin without a bathroom, which turned out to be a great idea since it rained the first day.
We had no idea what to expect, but we were all thoroughly impressed with the camp store. Who doesn't love a good gift shop?
This KOA has paved roads and go-cart bikes to rent.
Very fun, but a little hard to steer.
We brought Carmen's bike along, too. It's perfect because it's so heavy duty. The boys still ride that thing!
My nature boy enjoying a spikey ball.
And look at this bear we found in the woods!
There was a great playground with a gaga ball pit, too. I'd never played before, but it is kind of like dodgeball with a lot of bending over!
I forced everyone to walk the trail. At one point, I saw a huge acorn and asked Isabela to pick it up. When she bent down, she started screaming hysterically. Apparently, a one-armed crab was right by the acorn and started skittering away. What are the chances? Everyone was tense after that, seeing spiders and whatnot around every corner. Their screaming ensured we didn't see any wildlife.
Tree-hugger.
Pancake breakfast! The fun thing about KOAs is that they often have activities for everyone. How about free pancakes?
Is that a smile on her plate? And pancake in her hair?
He must have said something funny.
Carmen and I strolled down to the petting zoo one night. Lots of sweet baby animals.
Then it was on to gem mining.
You're guarantied to get something because you buy a bag of stuff that has the rocks already in it. Who knew?
Diego is also a future geologist and has a table in his room covered with rocks.
Our hammock! We splurged on some straps from REI before we left so we could hang our hammock up anywhere. We've had this hammock for eleven years and never used it. I don't know why I hung onto it for so long, but I'm glad I did. It was definitely one of the highlights and I even heard other children saying, "I wish we had one of those."
Here was our cabin. Front porch swing. Awesome. Double bunk beds inside...awesome, too. There was even a separate room for the parents! (But Carmen weaseled her way in like she always does.)
Diego was fascinated with the fire.
Did I mention the jumping pillow? Most awesome thing ever. It's like skyzone, but outside.
And they had two--one for little kids and one for big kids!
(Not buried in sand, but it looks like it!)
But when no one was around, we had it all to ourselves.
See you at the next KOA!





2 comments:
wow that was so much fun, I felt like I was there. what great pics girl. especially the last family one. Beautiful family.
Thanks, Maggie! I finally started using my good camera again. We just got back from Lynchburg, so that post is next!
Post a Comment