The other day, we had a little fire. In our oven.
Well, it was big enough that I wanted to yank the fire extinguisher off the wall, but small enough for JP and I to have an argument about the best way to put it out.
Everyone survived, dinner was still put on the table and eaten, and JP and I have even recovered from our argument.
The one thing left to do was actually clean the oven.
Background info: we've lived in this house for almost seven years.... and we've never cleaned the inside of our oven. Okay, that's pretty darn gross, but technically, no food is ever touching the sides and bottom of our oven. (I always tell my kids if you have to say 'technically', something's not right.)
Not to mention the fact that this oven came with the house....we can draw our own conclusions there.
After the fire, we weren't able to use the oven without cleaning it, so now was the time. We chose the chemical-free pinterest option of baking soda, salt, vinegar and letting it sit overnight.
The next morning, I started scrubbing. I don't think know we haven't seen through our oven window in seven years.
This is what it was looking like. Let's just say I went through several sponges.
And then I called in the big guns and let JP scrub the inside.
How do you get a little helper not to help? Food in a high chair.
We'll skip to the good part. Sore muscles, and the use of a flat file to scrape off the filth, this is what our oven looked like afterwards.
I know there's still some spots, but after what it was...this looks like NEW!
Look at that shine! Let's keep it that way, shall we?

1 comment:
wow, that stuff worked. Scary about the fire. Rick and I have been in our house 11 years and we just bought our 4th or 5th range for the house. We cook every night and something is always going out on them. We finally upgraded to stainless steel. Glad everyone is all right.
Post a Comment