Saturday, October 11, 2014

library love

My most favorite place to go is......the public library!

Here are six great reasons off of the top of my head:

1.  I can literally get out of the car with just my keys (no purse!) and come out with a giant bag full of books.  It's free, as long as you return your stuff on time.

2.  It's normally quiet.  It's nice to escape from the constant noise at my house and go somewhere I know it will be quiet.

3.  They have awesome events.  Free events.  We've learned how to crochet, attended bilingual story times, pet snakes, bats and hedgehogs, done weird science experiments and a lot more.

4.  You can request your books online!  The library notifies you when the books are in, and if you're in a hurry, you can send your big kid in while you idle in the loading zone, and they come back with all those books in a few minutes.

5.  It's free!  But I think I said that already.

6.  Books on CD.  Each summer, we check out books on CD to listen to in the car as we drive here and there.  The kids really enjoy it and it's fun to all 'read' the same book together.  Our most favorite book this summer was The False Prince.  I say 'our' because it was most definitely my favorite book, possibly ever.  The kids really liked Michael Vey: the Prisoner of Cell 25, too.  Other books we listened to last summer included Flora and Ulysses (boring to us), The Ghosts of Tupelo Landing (boring, but Izzy liked it), Gregor the Overlander (another great one!), and The Hatchet (excellent!).

Today, Diego, Carmen and I stopped in to pick up some books I had requested, and they were having a huge StarWars party.  They had costumes for the kids, balloon lightsabers, crafts, games, and giveaways....although it was probably obvious that we're not big StarWars fans--there were three years olds that knew more trivia than I did.


We have great libraries.  I love the library!

Where is your favorite place to go?




3 comments:

Aunt Maggie said...

if my library is anything like that one I should go, but you know I don't do books.

medina family said...

What?? I didn't know you don't do books. JP doesn't read books either...but he likes the books on CD, just not all the time.
I didn't always like books either...I don't think I read a single book in high school, then tried to skim books in college, and really didn't discover I liked books until I had kids! And now I don't have the time to read.

Aunt Maggie said...

hahahaha I did enjoy listening to audio books when I had my long commute but I gave that up too.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...