Wednesday, September 5, 2012

off to school

IMG_5078
When I was a kid, I always remember going school clothes shopping with my mom before the start of the new year.  It was sometimes torturous, especially as I got older.  She would want me to try on things I never would have touched.  I resisted, but in the end caved, and was always surprised they looked much better on then when hanging on the hanger.  (Except for those saddle shoes....I never liked the saddle shoes!)
But I don't do that with my kids...I suppose it's for financial reasons.  But whatever the reason, that's how we got to the night before school, and Isabela only had one shirt to choose from.  The rest were either tank tops or long sleeves.  Then we realized she only has one pair of shoes that are not flip-flops.

It made for an easy choice the first day of school, that's for sure.  And while I contemplated running out the night before school to look for some stuff, I knew it would be easier if I just held off until the next day.

first day

Besides, all she cared about was wearing hook earrings.  Of course, hers were lost... so I looked through my tangled mess of a jewelry box and found these.  She was very excited.

IMG_5084

And this is something you don't normally see the first day of school.  A smile on Joaquin's face.  Remember last year?  or when the principal had to pull him kicking and screaming from the car the year before?

IMG_5087

The plan was Isabela would ride the bus and I'd take Joaquin to school.    Taking them to school and picking them up is one of my favorite things...it's extra time in the car to talk and find out about their day.

IMG_5096

We were out there early and turned it into a family affair.  I love how Kitty even comes down to wait for the bus with us.  She always keeps her distance from Diego though.  Poor thing, all he wants is to hug her and pet her and just when he reaches out and is about touch her...she leaps away.

So the bus pulls up and I get in a quick question with the driver as Joaquin says, "Mom, I'm just going to ride the bus."  And like that, they were gone.

I came back in a little sad....it all happened so fast.  I thought we'd have the drive to school.

But I'm lucky...I've got one left to cuddle with.  For Diego, it's business as usual...just him and me and a grand ol' time.
IMG_5092

ps.  Diego and I hit Target and got a handful of t-shirts on sale, girls, size 10-12.  She ready to go now.


1 comment:

Stacey said...

So glad they are off to a great start!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...