Monday, May 14, 2012

shop 'til you drop party

We gave up the big, themed birthday parties a year ago.

I tried to begin a new tradition, just our family, celebrating the one whose special day it is.  But not everybody's on board yet.  So we compromised.

A small party.  Just two friends for a sleepover.  And a trip to the mall.

But that was enough to get us all excited and ready to plan the best.day.ever.

I came home the day before the party, and Isabela had sewed three wallets out of cardstock.  All by herself.  No pattern, no help.  I was truly impressed.

IMG_2592

Actually, the whole idea for the party was gotten here, including these cute licenses, with our own additions of fingerprints and pictures.

IMG_2585

These girls were ready to shop.

mall

Here is was our 'things to find' list.

IMG_2590

High heels were definitely a 'high'light.  They tried them all on and grabbed tightly to my arm as they tried to walk around.  I think I'd need to hold on to someone if I was walking around in those, too.

highheels

Love the tags on the sunglasses.

sunglasses

We found a red dress in Hollister...only my second time ever in that store, and I'm good with that.

reddress

The 'things to do' list just added to the excitement.  The girls were squealing all over the mall.


IMG_2589

The massage chairs were quite the experience.  Not quite as comfortable as they sound.

massage

See those pouty lips?  I had to insist a little at the clinque counter, but it is still possible to try on lipstick in the year 2012.  And it was here that I heard, "This is the best day ever."  Totally worth making the make-up lady earn her check that evening.

lipstick

There was one incident in the Bath and Bodyworks Shop when Isabela sprayed herself in the eye with the body spray.  It had to happen.... or it would have a been a perfect day.  I did point out that the list said body lotion instead of spray, but that didn't make her eye feel any better.  So we washed it out at the water fountain, and she put on a good face for her friends.

To top the evening off, I gave each of them $10 to spend at Claire's any way they liked... instead of a goody bag.  I knew this would take some time, as we tried to get the most bang for our buck.  The sales in there are a good test of advanced math skills, too, by the way.

And out of all the parties we've had over the years, I have to say I think this was the cheapest, easiest and one of the most fun.


4 comments:

Aunt Maggie said...

now i can say both of you are clever, she is quite a girl. and that does sound like the best day ever.

medina family said...

She does surprise me with all she can do! She loves to sew. We'll have to do more of that this summer.

Darlene said...

That is such a cool idea!! I might use that with Anabelle next year. I'd use it for Elise's bday coming up, but she hates to shop :0). She wants a camping sleepover bday. I cringed a little at the thought, but she came up with it herself, so I felt like I had to go with it. Wish me luck :0)

medina family said...

Darlene, I saw you pinning away on camping ideas, so I knew it was coming. It looks fantastic. About the shopping, I hate to shop, too. I was surprised at how much fun it was...I think because we weren't really shopping and we had a to do list.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...