It is always a little weird to ask about a funeral service, so I'll give you the details from my point of view.
I loved the hymns grandma had picked out...especially This is My Father's World...you can hear it played and see the verses here. Poor little Isabela ate something in the morning that did not agree with her, and she had to run to the bathroom three or four times throughout the service. Thank you to Beth who jumped right up to take her. Also Diego decided it was his moment to shine. He sang along with the first song and didn't stop there...so Juan Pablo had to take him out. But my little angel, Joaquin, was just that. He sat quietly, sang along as best he could to the hymns, recited Psalm 23 that we had memorized while homeschooling, and he even patted me on the back several times. It was amazing and a relief. Of course, I had promised him many treats at the reception if he did so, but at least we know what motivates him.
I was honored to give the eulogy at my family's request...I simply read the post I had written about my grandma. I lost it once right at the beginning, and kept my eyes on the paper, but I think the sentiment got across of how much we'll all miss Grandma and what a great person she was.
And I thought the minister gave a nice sermon, as well. It is always more meaningful when the pastor actually knows the person he is talking about. He did leave out uncle Stewart at the beginning, which we all started whispering about immediately...Stewart said that's the story of his life...but I think that's the story of all our lives, sometimes.
The reception was unbelievable...lots of delicious food, in their beautiful new addition at the Fredericksburg United Methodist Church. Grandma was a faithful member of their 8:15am service and had her same seat on her same pew every Sunday.
Maybe they'll engrave her name there.
One of my most favorite things to do is sit around with my family and talk...maybe that's because I don't get to talk to adults that much...but I laughed, cried, and enjoyed every minute of it. I can't imagine us not getting together like that throughout the year, and hope that even though grandma has gone on, we'll stay close.
1 comment:
You did a great job Susan. Grandma, Grandpa, and your mom would have been so proud of you. Perhaps public speaking is in your future after child rearing.
Post a Comment