We've done a whole bunch of nothing this summer.
And while I will never forget the day I promised myself I'd never get on another roller coaster, I can just feel the chug-chug-chug of the cars going up the giant hill of life just before school starts.
We're going to shoot down that track in all different directions. I'm hanging on tight, but geez, I wish I could just think about it one more time.
Looking at a few shots of the summer may help slow this coaster down a bit.
BLACKBERRY PICKING:
I took the kids, minus Joaquin, on a free hay ride to the blackberry patch early this summer. (I think Joaquin was at his soccer camp, and he hates all nature things I make us do away, so it was perfect timing.)
The blackberries were HUGE. And delicious.
The one problem was the june bugs. They were hiding in the bushes and if you pulled one too hard, they'd buzz out at you and scare you to death. Isabela learned the hard way and sent our whole bucket of blackberries flying.
We tried to eat as many as we could to cut the cost, but they weren't expensive at all and definitely worth dodging the bugs.
PONY PASTURE:
Would you believe we had never taken the kids to Pony Pasture before? I had wanted to take everyone to Chincoteague for the pony crossing, but we settled on this. We'd been to the river with them a lot, but not specifically to this famous spot.
Hmmm. Which way should we go?
Their fearless dad led the way. Of course, I was nervous about the whole thing. The sign said 'life jackets required' so I was ready to head to REI to pick some up. Overruled.
They found their own little rapids and shot down on a natural water slide, while Carmen and I sat on the rocks and talked to the nearby ducks. She wasn't too keen on getting wet, but laughed when a wet puppy decided to shake off on our rock.
Joaquin was pretending he couldn't swim back at one point. (I knew he was kidding, but always fun for a mother to watch, right?)
PEACH PICKING:
My uncle David took us to his friend's orchard to pick peaches and apples. Joaquin didn't pick a single one, but he did love on this sweet cat.
The peach trees had so much fruit, they were sagging under the weight and even had broken branches. I'd never heard of this happening.
Carmen wasn't much for picking either.
There's ol' uncle David. Quite the comedian, like always.
Superman couldn't wait to get his hands on this bell.
We didn't stay there long and have learned not to pick too much. We had German Apple Pancakes one morning...delicious...but I think there are still some apples sitting in the fridge from that day.
ZOO:
Carmen and I have zoo passes that I need to remember to use once the kids start school, but she and I, Diego, and abuelo checked out the zoo one day while the big kids had camps.
There were lots of babies! (It was a bad picture, but can you see the little face and tiny foot?)
Our zoo is amazing with giraffes to feed, 20 cheetah cubs born in the last two years, beautiful birds and monkeys, tigers, lions, bears....
I always love asking people questions. (Just the other day I asked the manager at Cici's how many pizzas they make in one day. Any guesses?) At the zoo, I always wonder how someone comes to be a zoo keeper. It always sounds like a fun job as a child, but not so much when you grow up.
The one I asked said she had studied international affairs in college, went to South Africa to study some cheetahs, and ended up following them to our zoo. She said she was responsible for most of the animals in the zoo, except for the reptiles and the apes. That sounds like a huge job!
Carmen enjoyed a little chat with a penguin...the oldest one they have is 35 years old!
And we took the train ride to the secret part of the zoo. Carmen was a bit sleepy by this point and would not stop saying "choo-choo, choo-choo" the e.n.t.i.r.e. ride! So cute, right?
This ostrich followed us right out of the enclosure. The driver had to stop the train to lead him back in. I commented, "Wow! That was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be!" And he laughed and said, "Well, if they flop down on the ground, it would have been a lot harder. They won't budge then." Maybe we can see that next time.
SESAME STREET:
I took the little kids to our local PBS station for a showing of a Wild Kratts movie. And yes, our station is located on a real Sesame St!
Carmen did not want a picture with Cookie Monster, and apparently Diego is too old to do that now.
But they could pose with posters.
Here's Dinosaur Train with a giant Clifford behind...
...and of course, Elmo, or Melmo as we call him.
They had little activities to do, but the highlight was popcorn and the movie. Diego has learned more stuff from that show than I could have ever taught him! Gotta love PBS.
And this was about the extent of our summer. A few pool days, local parks, and much boredom. My kids can't wait to go back to school. Maybe that's how it's supposed to be?
(Answer to the pizza question: 600 pizzas on a busy day!)










6 comments:
Sounds like a great summer to me! I always looked forward to going back to school. Routine, new clothes, and esp new school supplies... Ha. Your question-asking definitely comes from your Uncle Bob!!
Thanks, Robyn! Yes...the kids just love their new school supplies. Someone snuck new colored pencils into the basket without me seeing it...we literally have hundreds of colored pencils that only need to be sharpened. I guess it's the box that makes them great.
So funny about the question asking!! Yay uncle bob-O! I always try to get my kids to ask first, and they never will. What do they think will happen to them?? I found out about the pizzas, then wouldn't tell them how many. It was funny to me.
that is funny susan..................you are a kidder, hahhahahahhaha.
Sounds like a great summer to me also. and once again, great pics.
Thanks, Aunt Maggie! Hope you had a great summer, too!
Ack, I teared up on this one. Seeing your kids getting older and the whole end of summer/back-to-school thing makes me feel so nostalgic for when my kids were younger. My oldest is a senior in high school and is getting ready to apply to colleges. It just makes me a little ill. How is he this old? How am I that old? ... It seems like not long ago I was holding his hand walking around the zoo, looking down on his little bowl haircut... Sigh.
Your photos are beautiful as always, but your kids are beautiful so it's kind of cheating ;) Kidding. That was actually a great shot of your Uncle David. Looked like one you'd see in a newspaper for a story about a farmer and his bumper crop of peaches... The photo of Joaquin and the cat though! <3 <3 <3 ... Also, I would like to trade hair with him. It's so nice!
Your mention of Chincoteague reminded me of that book Misty of Chincoteague ... I read that in like third or fourth grade. Been awhile since I thought of it but I loved it at the time.
Dropping the bucket of blackberries because of the june bugs made me laugh. My younger son tried to catch a cicada the other day. I told him they don't bite but he had no idea they make such an awful "screaming" noise when threatened. He almost threw the mason jar after he caught it. Thankfully he just ran away without putting the cap on and the cicada escaped without my jar being broken.
I never knew penguins could be so old! I'm only one year older than that penguin!
Thanks for the CiCi's pizza trivia. I wonder if their HQ consider that an average, busy, or slow location... Aaaaand now I want pizza.
PS - Just got around to reading your other blog post too on the Folklife Festival. I snorted out loud about your comment on the bridge. Now that would have been something to see ;)
Great to hear from you, Tracy!
A friend of mine just sent her son off to college, and it brought back such memories of my college days. I've even been looking into community college classes for all the things I could have and should have been! What a fun and exciting time for your son, but so hard on the moms...I'll be thinking of you!
I don't know how our kids get so old, but I don't feel as old as I must be (beating you by too many years :) )
We found a cicada shell the other day...poked it with a stick off its perch to make sure it wasn't a real bug. I didn't know they screamed! I'll have to get one of my brave kids to try that....(not me, of course.)
Oh...and Joaquin just got a hair cut! It still kinda long, but not really. I told the hairdresser, "Good Luck," before she started...he has notoriously hard hair to cut, which is why it had gotten so long in the first place.
Post a Comment