Sunday, April 15, 2012

rediscovering me

I did something I haven't done in at least ten years.

I took a weekend trip all by myself!

And my new favorite mode of transportation...the train. It's fast. It's got BIG seats. It's got great views. And it's even got wi-fi, if you need it. I had downloaded this book to read on the way up...I finished almost 500 pages and didn't even feel sick. Another plus!
IMG_2016

And this is the beautiful city of Philadelphia.
philly skyline

And that is my beautiful cousin, Elizabeth....pregnant with her first child, a little girl! I'm so excited for her and know she's going to be one amazing mom.
Elizabeth works at a dance school called The Rock School, and she took me on a tour of their huge studios and great facilities...including a cafeteria that only serves healthy food. What a novel idea...hint, hint elementary schools.
eliz with tutu

One of the rooms held all of the costumes for the dancers. It smelled EXACTLY like the costumes I wore when I danced with the Richmond Ballet many years ago. I once read that the sense of smell is the one that can most quickly bring memories flooding back, and I believe it.
IMG_1926

Aren't these red tutus gorgeous?
IMG_1931

If I had to work somewhere, I think this would be a pretty great place. These little painted forms were bordering Elizabeth's cubicle. I love them.
IMG_1934

Elizabeth and I joked that I was country mouse and she was city mouse. For someone that went to college in the heart of Washington DC (me) you'd never know it! I was fascinated by everything....even hand-painted street signs.
dumping

My cousin loves her cat, Ocean.
IMG_1948

See that black changing table in the back?....I helped Elizabeth put it together. We had it almost finished when we realized two pieces were switched around. We practically had to take the whole thing apart to fix it. I think that's a general rule of putting furniture together...no matter how carefully you do it, you will have to redo it.
IMG_2003

You know you're getting old when Dave and Buster's is too loud and too chaotic. But it did have a spectacular view of the Benjamin Franklin Bridge...this picture almost looks like a post card to me.
ben franklin bridge

Elizabeth lives very near to where Benjamin Franklin lived and worked. I even walked through the same passage way he used to walk long, long ago.
IMG_1961

What a painstaking process it must have been to print newspapers.
IMG_1957

A famous name ready to be printed.
IMG_1958

And here's some more city shots: Fire escapes are so cool.
IMG_1963

So are mosaic tiled buildings...
IMG_1970

and huge painted murals.
IMG_1971

Here's a little video I took of my FAVORITE part of riding the train to Philly. It reminds me of Curious George changing the times at the train station...but way cooler.


Thank you, Elizabeth, for inviting me to your beautiful city and home...it was inspiring, and refreshing. I'm looking forward to rediscovering me a little more. But I'm REALLY looking forward to meeting your precious baby in May!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...