Wouldn't you like to come home and find this waiting for you on your porch?
My first box contained:
4 sweet potatoes
a bunch of asparagus
2 yellow squash
2 zucchini
3 green peppers
1 head of cabbage
a bunch of kale
Before you say "Ewww. Kale." ...or, like me.... "Kale? What is kale?", the box comes with a newsletter that includes wonderful, EASY recipes to make with that week's produce.
With the kale we made 'kale chips' and the most delicious bruschetta ever. The kids devoured it and requested it a second night.
Doesn't it make your mouth water?
If you live in the Richmond area and would like to sign up, it's not too late!!! The season starts in May. Go to the The Farm Table and fill out the form to see if there is a neighborhood coordinator in your area. If there isn't, you can sign up to be one (like me!) and even get your box for free.
It's a great organization supporting local farmers, healthy eating, and new, exciting tastes for your family. I always have good intentions on shopping weekly at the farmer's markets, but sometimes it's just not in the schedule. I only went a handful of times last year. But this box is delivered right to you. One less thing to pick up at the grocery store.
And I know I NEVER in a hundred years would have bought kale. But it was amazing.
Who knew vegetables could be so exciting?
2 comments:
Would you mind me asking how much you pay? Or do you get it for free (every box??) because you signed up to be a coordinator? I was just looking tonight at a CSA website and was surprised at the prices. Anywhere from $165-$500 for the season. I know the arguments for it, but gosh that's a lot of money, especially if you have to pay it all at once! And I'd have to pick it up, not get it delivered. Then there's the argument that we are very limited in our veggie consumption. Good for you for doing it!
Hi Caroline!!
This costs $25/week and you can skip weeks which is nice. There is a sign up fee which is $50. If I have over 20 deliveries, mine will be free, otherwise it's $15/week as a coordinator. The boxes will also have fruits, not just veggies. I know CSAs seem expensive up front, and we've never joined one before, but I wonder if we priced out what we spend each week at the grocery store on produce, if it would be about the same over the length of the season? I'm not sure. But this one is less expensive I think. But I think the recipes make it worth it. I wouldn't know what to do with some of those things!
Post a Comment