
Now that Juan Pablo has a job, we have started to look for a house. We haven't gotten a realtor yet (still not sure if we should) but we've been internet researching. And I've thrown a new wrench into the problem. At first, we were just looking around the area where we have always lived in Midlothian. Our church is there, which we love and go to several times during the week, plus we know the schools are good and there are activities close by like indoor soccer and dance. The bad side is it is far from JP's job (like a 30 minute commute) and the prices are pretty high. Then for some reason I clicked on a house on the northside of Richmond. Those are the older houses with the huge front porches and distinct architecture inside...which is the style I love. I think they are called four square or manor houses. And the trend has been for people to buy these and gut them and make them BEAUTIFUL on the inside, plus some have nice yards with big old trees in them. Plus they don't even build them like that anymore. The price is considerably less than Midlothian (almost $100,000 in some cases) and it would be a short commute for JP plus if either of us go back to school at VCU, we'd be close to that too. There is a great elementary school in the city called Fox, or they might have to attend a private school...which I think would be affordable if we spent less on the house. So now, I can't even decide where to look, or what to look for. Should I consider:
*house structure (love the old manors vs. cookie-cutter vinyls)?
*elementary school district (which tend to always be better than middle or high)?
*school districts through high school (which we could always move for some reason or another before then)?
*commute vs. church?
I would love some input!
4 comments:
i would definitely go for the older, cooler house! and i think shortening the work commute is more important than the church commute. i assume you don't normally drive to church during rush hour, and probably not as often as JP will be driving to work...yay, now i have an excuse to browse around on realtor.com!
hey, hey, hey, love the house, but not so much gutting one and re-doing it. that's a LOT of work and very dirty and dusty living. didn't you just do that in bolivia? find an old house that is turnkey ready. then you can enjoy watching your kids grow up, daddy can have the short commute, and find a new church!
I'm so glad people are actually reading this!! Yes, I wouldn't be remodeling a house myself...I would buy one that's already beautiful. So that's what turnkey means. But I don't know about the new church suggestion....we LOVE our church and the kids do too. But good point about not commuting to church during rush hour!!
fluffy
GOD first. god's the one who will ultimately take care of you. remember when we take one step towards God, God gives us 2 more closer . so hey if you go 30 min to commute or make an effort towards God. perhaps God will make an effort for you 60 minutes worth and more... i like the picture of the house:) good luck
Post a Comment